Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Happy Birthday, Linda!




Happy Birthday to my "OLD" friend!! Don't you just love this picture of the two of us? It was taken about 1969 or 1970. Sure wish I was (almost) that skinny now!! LOL

Linda and I grew up together. We've known each other since my family moved to Fresno in 1955. We were both 2 years old, (although she IS OLDER than I)!!! We had the normal child-hood fusses, but quickly went back to being friends. Many a Sunday afternoon, either Linda was at my house, or I was at hers.

Linda...remember...??



Harvey and Thesta...

How we used to jump off of the cement blocks next to the steps?

How we could hear Don Deaver stomping his foot in the upstairs prayer room when we got to church?

Revival with Bro. Bean?...and how it changed our church for the better...forever?

Having Sunday School in the basement?

Having the "money hunt" and the "candy rains" for Sunday School?

Sis Betty Wally praying at the altar with us?

The ladies trio....Sis. Vance, Sis. Estes and Sis. Wally?

Bro. Layne saying "Echooooooes of Pentecoooost is oooooonnn the Aiiiiir!"? (I can still hear him.)

Then, the Echoes of Pentecost Choir singing "Great is the Lord" with Archie Gibson singing the lead?

"Joy Bells"...."Twelve Gates to the City"...?

My Dad taping services on his old reel to reel?

Arguing over who gets to "be" Sis. Lokey when we played church?

Sis. Taylor's fried pies?

You and I going to Sis. Taylor's after Sunday School and not taking a nap like we were supposed to?

Having church picnics and playing "Flying Dutchman"?

Your Grandma and Grandpa (Mom and Pop Layne) living next door to the church?

The way Pop's hands shook....but he never spilled a drop while pouring iced tea...?

The Young People signing a petition asking God to enlarge our Youth Group?

Moving to First and Holland?

God answering our prayer and enlarging our Youth Group by leaps and bounds?

Having to build a baptistry in the new sanctuary....and it leaking every time we used it? LOL

Playing soft ball on the grassy area...which is now parking lot?

Having Youth Bible studies and prayer meetings every Tuesday night?...and THEN we would play?

Building the new sanctuary...which is now the Prayer Room...?

How we all painted our initials on the dry wall...before it was stuccoed and painted?

Our Senior trips to Yosemite in the Sunday School bus.....(and I would always get motion sickness)? Hiking Vernal Falls....?

Our first cars....both Oldsmobiles????

You and I lying in the sun at Sis. Thornton's pool, comparing husbands-to-be...?

Youth Camp and Camp Meeting at Frasier Park...

Bro. Layne was Camp director (or something like that), and Pop Layne was the cook?

Youth Camp and Camp Meeting at Beulah Park, Santa Cruz?

The Santa Cruz board walk?

Keith driving us to Youth Camp....Santa Cruz...in his car?

Randy Theissen's Camaro? Dave and Jan Grider's parents' convertible Cadillac? Steve Walker's Carmen Ghia?

Oh, my!!! What memories we have, and these are just a few. I wish we lived closer to each other, so we could continue making memories.

HAPPY 55TH BIRTHDAY, MY LONG-TIME FRIEND!! LOVE YOU BUNCHES

6 comments:

Linda Elms said...

I don't know if I should say "thank you" or not! LOL! That picture is ridiculous! How did we ever get our hair that BIG? Yes, I do remember the things you talked about!!!! We had so much fun growing up together. Where did the time go? Thank you for still being my friend! And....I will go ahead and say it, "THANK YOU" for the Happy Birthday wish and all the memories! Love you!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Happy Birthday, Linda.

Gayla,
Ah, how I remember those days of hair being bigger than life. Don't you wonder how we didn't topple over? LOL Reading your post provided me with some great memories too. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Oh My!! Maybe a better question would be WHY did we make our hair so big? And to think that we all thought people "gawked" at us because we were "so cute!" No wonder we all have arthritis and tendonitis of the neck and shoulders these days!!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Sorry - that was me - Pat! I forgot to sign my previous comment. It must be that "arthritis of the brain"! LOL

iluv2prshim said...

Gayla, ROTF! I have been out of town and just now saw this post. The picture cracks me up but the memories are precious!

Kevin Hopper said...

Wow! Such memories! I was a "little" fellow at Harvey and Thesta but I remember a lot of those names and the hairdos as well! LOL!! I will see that my folks see this post !! LOL!!