Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Language of the Fan



One of the courtship rituals during Victorian times was the language of the fan. Here is some of that language.

I desire your acquaintance.....Carry fan in left hand in front of face
I wish to speak to you.........Close fan
Follow me......................Carry fan in right hand in front of face
Wait for me....................Open fan wide
You are too willing............Carry fan in right hand
Kiss me........................Hold handle to lips
We are watched.................Twirl fan in left hand
Yes............................Rest fan on right cheek
No.............................Rest fan on left cheek
I love you.....................Draw fan across the cheek
Do you love me?................Present the fan closed
I love another.................Twirl fan in right hand
You have changed...............Draw fan across forehand
I wish to get rid of you.......Place fan on left ear
I hate you.....................Draw fan through the hand
I am sorry.....................Draw fan across the eyes
You are cruel..................Open fan across the eyes
I am engaged...................Fan very quickly
I am married...................Fan very slowly
We will be friends.............Drop the fan

I hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's Day

1 comment:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Never knew that. You see, you can trick an old dog new tricks. LOL