Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Shoes and a Sure Foundation

Isaiah 28:16

Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner stone, a sure foundation...

2 Timothy 2:19

Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his.

What is the definition of foundation? This is what I found in the unabridged dictionary on line.

foun·da·tion - Spelled Pronunciation[foun-dey-shuhn] –noun

1. the basis or groundwork of anything: the moral foundation of both society and religion.
2. the natural or prepared ground or base on which some structure rests.
3. the lowest division of a building, wall, or the like, usually of masonry and partly or wholly below the surface of the ground.
4. the act of founding, setting up, establishing, etc.: a policy in effect since the foundation.
5. the state of being founded.

I have a true and sure foundation!! My maternal Grandfather found the truth of the Acts 2:38 message at a young age. Shortly after, he and Grandma took their children and began preaching all over the state of Louisiana. He preached in many brush harbor meetings, and any place they needed revival. The family met with all kinds of obstacles and fought many evil spirits in order to preach the truth...but that's another blog!! LOL He later founded the church in Winnsboro, LA which is now pastored by my uncle.

I am third generation Pentecost, and was provided with a true and sure foundation, but I, myself, had to build on that foundation with my own consecration to God. I had to develop my own prayer life and convictions, and receive the revelation of the truth for myself. One cannot stand solely on the "religion" of one's parents or grandparents. It must be found for ourselves, but we are surely blessed if we have a heritage to back us up!! I am thankful that God chose my family to be part of the "chosen few". Because of the foundation of truth in my life, the devil has been able to "shake" the foundation of my soul with many trials and heartaches, but with the grace of God, he has not been able to make the temple come crashing down. Thanks be only to God!!

So...on a lighter note!! The Bible says that our bodies are the temple of God.

1 Corinthians 6:19

What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Well, this temple needs a good foundation, doesn't it? That's the reason I LOVE shoes!! See, now you ladies that are married, have the perfect excuse to provide your husbands when he says..."another pair of black shoes? don't you have 20 pair of black shoes already?"...

The foundation of this temple is our feet, and our feet can't hurt, or the rest of the temple is miserable. Also, the foundation needs to look good, or the rest of the temple just won't look finished.

Shoes provide a covering for our feet. They protect our feet from the elements, and the ground that we walk on. But if shoes are necessary, they might as well be cute, right? And they need to match our outfits. I have never seen a pair of shoes that would go with every thing in my closet!! A man says he only needs 3 pair of shoes...brown, black and tennies... BAH...even men need more pairs of shoes than that!! How can they provide their temple with a good foundation with only 3 pairs of shoes? They can't!!

So, I say...let's go buy a pair of shoes today!! Have fun!!


5 comments:

Windows In My Soul said...

Now, I just KNEW there was a reason that I liked you so much. Hee hee ... I'm gonna start telling people when they make fun of my shoe collection that I am simply taking care of the foundation of my temple. =o) It seems you are a sandal type girl as well. I prefer the flip flop and last count had over 20 pairs... but I love the sandles too. Well, if you stick your foot in it and it has a heel I love it -- so... yeah. It would be an allllll day project for me to photograph all my shoes - kudos for that!

Gayla said...

Hi Jen, Actually I like all kinds of shoes...like you, if you put your foot in it...well... The photos are about 1/10 of my shoes. It would take forever to photgraph all of them!! Thanks for visiting!!

Kevin Hopper said...

Gayla, I enjoyed reading about your family history. I got a good chuckle out of your shoe pictures!

My wife will enjoy this as well because it supports her various needs to go shopping and add to her shoe collection as well! LOL!

Karen J. Hopper said...

Having a heritage in Him is a blessing, and it allows you to look back to pleasant memories. PS: Looks like you have plenty of footwear to keep on walking for Jesus.

Debbie Saiz said...

Love the post!! Yes, Gayla you do have an awesome heritage! Your Grandpa, Bro. Jessie Hawthorne was a great pioneer in the Louisiana District. My Dad had the honor of preaching both of your grandparent's funerals. What awesome people they were and your Uncle as well. . .the Floyd Hawthorne's!! Their great church in Winnsboro is such a beacon to that whole area! Your parents carried that heritage on in your family in California.
Loved the shoes as well! : )