Saturday, June 21, 2008

Bird Nest

I planted flowers in my backyard several weeks ago, but they were stolen as soon as I turned my back. Yes,... stolen. My ornery puppies are a year old now, but they still dig and chew. Not as bad as they used to, but it is still bad!! (Will they EVER out grow it???) sigh...

My backyard was in desperate need of flowers, so I decided to outsmart those little she-devils. I planted flowers in pots and baskets and put them higher than the puppies could reach. (Now, mind you, that didn't have to be very high, since they are Scottish Terriers with very short legs.)
And really, I do love them very much, even if they do try me at times...

I hung several baskets of flowers from my patio, and it added a cheery effect to my backyard. The worst thing about all of these flowers, is that I have to water them. If they were planted in the ground, they would get watered when the sprinklers come on.

A couple of weeks ago, I was watering the flowers. While watering the middle basket, a bird flew out of the basket causing me to scream and dance!! I'm sure that was a sight to behold, but as I was the only human in the back yard, it was not witnessed. (Thank God..)

A few days later, while watering the flowers, the bird again, flew out of the middle basket. It startled me again this time, but now I started to wonder what was in there. I pulled a chair over to the flower basket and peeked in. Sure enough....two little eggs. Awww


A beautiful, grey, Mama mourning dove has made my flower basket her nest. Since I had been watering the flowers in the basket, (and therefore, unknowingly watering the eggs) I'm not sure if these eggs will hatch, or not. She has not given up on them, though, as she still faithfully sits on them. Instead of baby mourning doves, we might only have boiled eggs, from the water I gave them, and the heat wave we have been having.




There are two other blogs that I have been reading, of people who have baby birds at their houses. Read herehttp://writenow.wordpress.com/2008/06/20/a-day-in-the-life-of-the-buxton-robins/ and here http://writeathome.wordpress.com/2008/06/15/first-fathers-day-family-portrait/


'Tis the season for baby birds. I will let you all know whether I get baby birds, or boiled eggs.....

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this post as you can imagine since we also have birds nesting at our place in Crestline, and I'm pretty interested right now.

Your pictures are beautiful...those little eggs right among those gorgeous flowers is striking.

Keep us posted. Hope you get baby doves.

Carol Connell said...

I'll be watching too to see if your eggs will hatch. It sure is a lot of fun to watch the babies.

Windows In My Soul said...

Aww...birdies! A few weeks ago when I went to visit Grammie, I noticed a bird flew out of their grill. Yes -- I said out of the grill. You know the little hole in the side of the lid alowing for heat to escape? Yeah, from there. A little mama bird had built a nest INSIDE the grill. There were about 5 eggs in there, but as soon as those puppies hatched they were ALL gone. I guess they got tired of us peeking in on them and taking pictures. hee hee.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Keep us posted. Little baby birds bring so much excitement.