Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Visit from Friends

Last week Tim Smith from Sumter, South Carolina, and Joyce McCoy from Courtenay, Comox Valley, Vancouver Island, B.C., were here to visit.

We had a grand time seeing each other again, and touring California. Tim and I met in 2003 on the first UPC singles trip to London. We have been best of friends since that time, and have seen each other on other trips, and at various times over the years. We met Joyce on the UPC singles trip to Hawaii in 2006. I had not seen Joyce since then, but she and Tim have visited each other several times.

While they were in California, they went sight-seeing in San Francisco and the northern part of the state when I had to work. I then had 6 days off, and I took them to Pismo Beach over Memorial Weekend. My sister Pat and her husband, Mike, their daughter Jana and her husband, Gordo and their two girls, Tori and Alayna...all were camping in their trailers on the beach. We stopped by to be with them for the day.(If you have never been to Pismo Beach during a major holiday weekend, you need to go for the experience, even if you don't "do the dunes".) It is a sight to behold. Most people from other parts of the country, have never seen sand dunes such as we have in California, much less ride them!! Oh, what FUN!! They had a BLAST!!

After Pismo, we went on down to Solvang and Santa Barbara. On Tuesday, we headed home, but first we went by Shell Beach, Morro Bay, and San Simeon. We could not have asked for better weather. It was beautiful; clear, and sunny, but not too warm. On Wednesday, we went to Yosemite. There, it was slightly rainy and cool, but the weather made for some awesome pictures, and it wasn't really bad weather, anyway. They loved Yosemite!! Of course, who wouldn't??

On Thursday, we slept in a little since we were all so tired. Then I just drove them around Fresno a bit, showing them Woodward Park, etc. I took them to meet my parents, and they met two of my sons. Then we drove up to Millerton Lake for a little while. Tim has some family here in Fresno, and had not seen them in many years, so they had a little family reunion that evening.

On Friday, I went back to work and they left for home. We had so much fun seeing each other again, and I missed them so much when they left.

Here is a slide show of some of the pictures I took. Of course, this is just a FEW of the pictures, and they have a lot more!!


7 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Wow, you were busy. Just think I get to enjoy the sites in your photos of the coast every day of the week. Your pictures jarred my mind as to what a great place I live in. And my second favorite place is Yosemite. Thanks for sharing. Hope you took some of our natural air-conditioning home with you to the valley.

PS: Wow does Tori look like Jana.

Gayla said...

Yes, Tori looks like Jana, but really, if you see them in person, Tori looks most like her Daddy. Alayna looks most like Jana.

Steven Saiz said...

Glad you got to spend time with them. Looks like you had a great time!

Anonymous said...

We had an absolute blast! I felt like a genuine sandlapper after riding the dunes in that open wheeled dune buggy! There was a new sand dune when I returned to the camper and dug the sand out of my ears and eyes, etc. I really enjoyed the entire trip with fantastic friends. Thanks for taking the time off to be our hostess and tour guide Gayla!

- Tim -

Debbie Saiz said...

Glad you all had a great time!! You got some great pics!! Nothing like good friends getting together!!

Windows In My Soul said...

How fun! I would LOVE to get back out to Cali one day, and the pics makes me want to go even more!!!!

Anonymous said...

Gayla, thanks so much for making this trip what it was! I have so many memories! (and if I forget anything, I'll ask Tim! LOL)I love California, (who wouldn't?) and I need to return someday to see all the sites I didn't get to this time around. Thanks again!