Monday, July 7, 2008

My Bird Family

I like this Mama Dove. I identify with her...a single Mom!! LOL

I went out on my patio this early afternoon, and noticed Mama sitting there with both babies.
I think she is getting used to me, so she didn't fly away this time. I can see them better now that my flowers are completely dead... I also noticed that the smaller baby bird is progressing nicely. I think I have come to the conclusion that this one hatched a day or so later than his/her sibling. Thus, the later development.

Later in the evening, as I was putting a steak and corn on the cob on the grill, I looked up at the basket, and it seemed that the smallest baby was all alone. I pulled up a chair to get a closer look. Yes, I was right... All alone. It seems that Mama had taken the largest baby for a flying lesson and left this one alone.
I was a bit concerned about this baby being by his/herself, so I just went out to check on him/her. He/she is still alone. I sure hope Mama doesn't forget that she has another baby!! If so, I will have a dead baby bird along with dead flowers!! Yikes....
By the way...the steak and corn were delicious!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pictures are priceless. Just beautiful.

The hatchling robins at our house have matured and flown into the air. Our neighbor checked for us and the nest is vacant.

Bittersweet for me. I wanted them to mature and take to the wing, of course, but I wish I could have seen their sailing lessons.

Keep writing about these. Beautiful.

Karen J. Hopper said...

Gorgeous pictures. May Mama return to teach the little one how to fly too. May this story turn out to be a happy one.