Friday, August 1, 2008

Busy....Just Busy

To the two or three people who read my blog, you probably think I have died and gone to Heaven. Well, that doesn't sound like such a bad idea, but I have just been extremely busy!

I am working two jobs right now. I got a part-time job at a surgical hospital. I work in recovery there. This is completely different than what I do at my full time job, and that is why I wanted to do it. I have always thought I would enjoy working in PACU (post anesthesia care unit) and wanted to try it out. I like that I get a patient from OR, get the person stable, awake, pain and nausea under control and ship them off...either upstairs for the rest of the stay, or home. Then...NEXT...do it all over again. I'm working there at least 1 extra day a week. One thing I like about nursing...there are so many professions within a profession. If you don't enjoy what you are doing, you can find another position, nursing in a completely different capacity. Also...you can always find a job...or two, or three. I actually am employed three places, but I think I would fall over dead if I took on any more work, so I haven't worked for the 3rd place for quite a while.

Besides starting another job, I planned and gave a wedding reception for my son, Aaron and Candice on July 12. It turned out really good. Since they got married at the coast, I carried the beach theme throughout the party. I have pictures and may post some later.

I had another nerve block on my foot today. I have an old softball injury to my right foot, that turned into "reflex sympathetic dystrophy" or "regional pain syndrome". I won't go into detail, but it causes great pain in my foot, which is not good for someone who is always on her feet! The doctor has given me a series of 3 blocks, (this is the 3rd) to try to get an extra amount of blood flow to my foot, and "shock" the sympathetic nerve back into acting right. Anyway, it makes me feel like I am walking on a block of wood, since the feeling in my foot is completely gone. I have to be careful not to hurt my foot right now, as I would not feel it until tomorrow when this block wears off. (Great fun...!!)

Also, last week I got news from the orthopedic surgeon that I need knee surgery again. I have another torn meniscus to the same knee that I had done last year......SIGH.....I told her it won't be happening any time soon, if my knee will hold up.

So...see why I haven't posted anything lately? Not really anything worth while to blog about in my little world.

Oh, yeah....the second batch of bird eggs hatched this week. I've got two more baby birds.

It will be silent on here for a while, again. I am working the next three days, and then I am off to Santa Maria for Camp Meeting. I can't wait!! I need some time off!!! Maybe I will see you there....

7 comments:

Karen J. Hopper said...

Busy lady! Glad you found a few minutes to update us on what's going on in your neck of the woods. Take care - and look forward to seeing ya at camp meeting.

Caroline (Jane) said...

Gayla,
Thanks for letting us know what's going on.
Enjoy your time off at Camp meeting!

Windows In My Soul said...

Hey chick! Stopping in to catch up, and loks like I've got pretty good timing. Was thinking about you and all my other Cali friends with all the shaken going on out there this week. Everything alright I'm assuming with you? Take care and have fun at Camp Meeting!! Enjoy your break!!

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'll go to Camp Meeting just to surprise you... Sorry to hear about your Bad Knee and foot problem. Sounds like you just need new ones! Just kidding!!!

See you soon my friend

Anonymous said...

Okay mom, I do not like that first paragraph. Twisted my stomach up a bit. Heaven yes, but lets wait 'till the rapture. :-)
Thank you for our wedding reception. It WAS beautiful!
I hope your pain starts feeling better soon. Maybe your time off should help. Love you bundles! AD

Gayla said...

Ok, Aaron...I agree...we'll wait for the rapture. LOL (Love you back...) Mom

Debbie Saiz said...

It was great to see you at camp meeting! Thanks to you and Sandy for your help!!
Stay in touch!