Thursday, August 14, 2008

Camp Meeting

The sawdust was so thick and high that I could hardly walk. I was holding my Mother’s hand and felt like I was being dragged down the isle as we looked for an empty row of seats.

This is one of my earliest memories of Camp Meeting at Frasier Park. I’m sure the sawdust was not as thick and high as I remember, but I was a small child, so it seemed so to me. I also remember a great crowd of people shouting and praising God in that Tent Tabernacle. As I grew to my teenage years, camp was moved to Beulah Park in Santa Cruz. I loved the cool weather of Santa Cruz and the fact that we were near the ocean. We teenagers would go to the beach and to the boardwalk in the afternoon between services. It was a great time to meet other young people from other churches as well as feeling the mighty power of God in the services.

Quite some time ago, Camp Meeting moved from Santa Cruz and is now held in Santa Maria. I love it because it is cool there also, and again, near the ocean. I did not get to attend Camp Meeting for many years, but I try to attend every year now. It is so wonderful to see so many young families camping on the grounds at Santa Maria. Their small children are riding their bikes, or skating and playing with other children that they have met. They are building memories that they will never forget. These young families are building traditions that include the power of God.

II Thessalonians 2:15 says “stand fast and hold the traditions which ye have been taught”. Camp Meeting is one of the best traditions of Pentecost. Where else can a family go on a camping vacation together, but also attend power packed services with so much wonderful preaching? Also, it is so much fun to see friends that we haven't seen in a while, and to make new friends.

Camp Meeting this year was one of the best. Bro. Bill Davis preached every day, and Bro. Jerry Jones preached every night. There was some MIGHTY preaching and some AWESOME singing. The choirs this year were the best!! Here is a slide show of some of my pictures. Enjoy!


4 comments:

Caroline (Jane) said...

Gayla, I haven't been to a camp meeting since I was 12 (long story). But, you make it look so fun, maybe I should try it out next year!
Thanks for the pictures. I always enjoy your pictures, it's the next best thing to being there.
Caroline

Karen J. Hopper said...

Sorry that I missed you and Sandy - would have loved to have seen you. Your pictures are great and show not only the wonderful camp meeting but our wonderful area. Living in this coastal setting makes us forget how blessed we really are.

Linda Elms said...

Gayla, thank you for the pictures! They are beautiful! Also, thank you for writing about Camp Meeting and all the wonderful memories from the past, and the new ones being made. I love hearing about the great things that are happening in my home district! Love you!

iluv2prshim said...

Awesome pictures! Of course the ones of you and me with the camera's are the best. :) jk I remember both Frazier Park and Beulah Park as a kid. I have tried to find Beulah Park since we have moved to Hollister but I guess it is either no longer around or by a different name. :( It was good to see you and Sandy for a few minutes.
Love You!