Sunday, August 17, 2008

A Funny Thing Happened at Work Today

Something funny happened to me today, that I just have to tell you about. I thought it was hilarious!!

I have been working for the past three days. I have had one particular woman as a patient all three days. Her husband is very attentive, and stays with her all day, so I got to talk to both of them quite a lot. They are both very nice people, and it was my pleasure to care for her.

This part of the story may seem to be a bit braggadocios, but I must tell it in order for you to understand the funny part of the story. Mrs. Patient has several medical conditions that have caused her to be in hospital for the past month. She was not doing well on Friday evening just before I was to go home, and I called in the crisis team for another opinion. I was late getting off that night, because I wanted to make sure she was all right before I left. (She actually did stabilize before I went home.) In addition, over the last three days, I was able to “diagnose” some conditions that were plaguing her that the doctors had over looked.

Because of this, Mrs. Patient and Mr. Husband have thanked me profusely for my care. Mr. Husband came in to the hospital this morning, and handed me an envelope. He wanted me to read the letter inside, in his presence. It was a very nice letter that he had emailed to the hospital administrators telling them about the “great” care I have been giving his wife, and letting them know that he thinks I am an asset to the hospital, blah, blah, blah…. (It was a very nice letter and I thanked him for writing it.)

Okay, so here is the “funny” part of the story. This afternoon, I walked into Mrs. Patient’s room to give her insulin injection. Mr. Husband, and Mr. Visitor were having a discussion on the other side of the room from where I was preparing the medication. I heard Mr. Husband say to Mr. Visitor, “…you know, that small country that Iraq invaded several years ago when Daddy Bush was president”. Mr. Visitor said, “you mean the Kurds”? Mr. Husband said, “no, not the Kurds, the other small country”. So in my normal, silly, humorous way, I THINK, “the Kurds?”… then I SAY, “it was the Whey!” (you know, curds and whey…HA HA) Well, Mr. Husband says, “yeah! Kuwait! I should have asked Gayla, she knows everything!!!”. He thought I said Kuwait, the country he was trying to think of!! I started laughing so hard inside, that I had to leave the room so I could crack up out loud!!

After all the praise they had been giving me, do you think I could let him know what I REALLY said??? Of course, NOT!!

Ok, I don’t hear anyone laughing. Maybe it was one of those…”you had to be there things”. But it really WAS funny!!

8 comments:

Linda Elms said...

LOL! LOL! Gayla, you made me AND Wendell laugh! That is just FUNNY! LOL! Thanks for the story. It's great!

Debbie Saiz said...

Thanks for the smile!!!! It was great to see you at camp meeting!!

Kathy McElhaney said...

I am definitely laughing! Great story and I'm glad you're being appreciated by Mrs. Patient and Mr. Husband - I'm sure you deserve WHEY more!!

Karen J. Hopper said...

What a cute story. It had me chuckling.

Kevin Hopper said...

Great story! Keep up the good work!

Gayla said...

Thanks to all of you for letting me know you thought my story was funny!!

Anonymous said...

That is a truly funny story. Loved it.

Anonymous said...

Yes if the truth be known, in some moments I can reveal that I jibe consent to with you, but you may be making allowance for other options.
to the article there is stationary a question as you did in the fall delivery of this beg www.google.com/ie?as_q=ulove slideshow maker 1.2 ?
I noticed the catch-phrase you suffer with not used. Or you profit by the dreary methods of development of the resource. I suffer with a week and do necheg