Saturday, November 3, 2007

Happy Birthday, Daddy



This is a picture of Daddy last Christmas with his 3 youngest Great-Grandchildren.

Dad is 88 today. His name is Jefferson Franklin Robbins, but has always gone by "Jeff". He is one of the world's finest men. He had to help on the family farm, so he never made it past eighth grade. He isn't "book smart", but he has an intelligence far beyond books. Dad worked for the Southern Pacific Railroad as a car repairman, but he wanted to do something else also, so he taught himself to be a locksmith through a correspondence course. He worked at the railroad at night, and was a locksmith by day for many years. I never remember a time when my Dad didn't provide for his family.

Before he became too old to get under cars, he was the best car mechanic. He could fix just about anything wrong with any vehicle. And that wasn't all....he could fix just about anything that was broken.

He loves to tell stories to my sons (and any one else that will listen) about World War II. He was in the army, and just the other day I heard him tell someone that he spent his 21st birthday in a foxhole. He fought all over the South Pacific during the war, mostly in Hawaii, the Marianna Islands, and Enewotok. (I don't know if I spelled that correctly...probably not :)) His stories are really interesting, and when you hear him talking about them, you wonder how he survived that war. I always feel that God knew that Dad would meet Mom after the war and come to know and serve Him, so He kept him from harm.

Dad is not as strong now, as he was just a few years ago. He had two heart attacks last year, and the small stroke just a couple of weeks ago. It is SO hard watching him age, knowing that his time here on earth is limited. I have always been my "Daddy's girl", and I know that I am blessed to have him this long, but it is still painful to watch him become frail.

Oh, the many things and stories I could tell about this wonderful man...but I won't do it here. It would make this post way too long. Just know this...I LOVE YOU VERY MUCH, DADDY!! Have a very happy birthday!!

1 comment:

Linda Elms said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Bro. Robbins! It's hard to believe you are 88 years old! I have great memories of being at ya'll's house as a little girl. How time has flown by. I hope you have many more years to enjoy more "life". Love you!